Changing Your Wireless Security Settings To Create A New WEP Encryption Key For Your eircom Residential Wireless Modem
*Note: Before making the changes below, please print these instructions and the instructions to re-configure your wireless connection.
More information on WEP is available here.
These instructions are only intended for the following eircom-supplied Netopia modems. You can find the model number of your Netopia modem by turning it up-side down and checking the lable.
- Netopia 3347NWG
- Netopia 2247NWG
- Netopia 2247-02
Before you start
- *Note: It is recommended that before you change the default wireless setup, you should make certain that your computer is connected directly to the modem using the yellow ethernet cable. Failure to do so may result in losing the connection between the computer and the modem.
- Make sure the computer's TCP/IP properties are set to obtain an IP address and DNS Server address automatically. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.
The IP Addressing in this document is for illustrative purposes only. The public IP's provided by your ISP will be different and unique to your internet account. With Network Address Translation enabled, any private network addressing scheme can be used that is consistent with your LAN settings.
Otherwise, please follow these steps: If you do not already have the Netopia page displayed, open your browser (eg. Internet Explorer or Firefox). In the address bar, type in 192.168.1.254
and click Go
or press Enter
on the keyboard. Alternatively, you can click here
to open this address in a new window.
Once at the Netopia page:
- Click on 3D Wireless in the left menu.
- Click on Advanced Configuration Options near the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the Privacy drop down menu and select WEP Automatic.
- Enter a random passphrase or sentence in the WEP key passphrase box.
- Click Generate.
A new value for the WEP key will be created.
- Select, right-click and copy the Encryption Key (11eb58... The easiest way to select this is by double-clicking on it).
...taking care not to capture spaces or miss characters at either end, and paste them into a notepad or word document
. You will need them later.
You will be asked to restart the modem.
The modem will take about two minutes to restart.
You will now need to re-configure your wireless connection